"Lesson learned: Do not try to reverse-solve the Bay Area."
(This advice has since been proved bad.)
I have participated in some puzzle-hunt-related activities
and met some interesting people along the way. These are like
treasure-hunt games you might have played as a kid, but much
more elaborate. These games
are clue-based, sometimes involving physical challenges, often
I was inspired to play these games by reading somebody's write-up of a past
game. But beware: the write-up does not capture the experience well.
If you read these and think "Now I know how these things work," you're
overlooking something. If you read these and think "I'd like to run a
game, but I can't meet these high standards," you're overlooking something.
The write-up is not the game.
- WarTron, Los Jefes, and Portland:
In which Team Los Jefes travels to Portland to excel in the
WarTron game despite the presence of an embedded reporter.
- Fish Retrace No Prose:
In which team Mystic Fishwrap takes on the Doctor When Game, a
time-traveling tale of mad science.
- My Hench Life:
In which team Bloody GoldFish Meat plays in the bay area re-run of
the World Henchmen Organization game, a.k.a. "the one in the world of Dr
Travelog from New York City 2011. Along the way, I helped run DASH3,
played a puzzle hunt by Margaret Maloney, learned of the existence of
Dastardly Puzzle Geocachers, and played a location-based game in the
- 2-Tone Game GC's Notes: Notes from administering
the 2-Tone Game, an at-your-own-pace
puzzle hunt in San Francisco
- Shinteki Decathlon 5 vs Mystic Fish: Both playing
the game and--special bonus--notes from volunteering at a clue site.
- Ghost Patrol, Hooray!: Some incoherent notes from a really well-run game November 2008
- BANG 19: Some notes from helping to run this simulcast of SNAP 4. photos, puzzles, timing data
- The Smoking GNU: Back to Basics: aka embedded report-ing on the Smoking GNU playing in the Midnight Madness: Back to Basics game, April 2008
- No Morse Egress: aka "No More Secrets" May 2007
- Brave Whacktagonal Knights: BANG 17: Knights of the Round Table April 2007
- Hogwarts Inside Out: Playtesting and GC-Volunteering Hogwarts and the Draconian Prophecy
- Underlying Metaphors vs Shinteki Decathlon 2: "The one with the heat wave"
- Apprentice Zorg: This was so awesome.
- McGuffin Ho! Team Mystic Fish zips through the McGuffin game July 9-10, 2005. As remembered several months after the fact.
- Team PG?E vs Shinteki Decathlon an amazingly awesome day-long treasure hunt May 7, 2005, poorly remembered a few months after the fact
- Untamed with the Lester Tang Conjecture an awesome day-long treasure hunt Nov 6, 2004
- All Kinds of Puzzle Hunts in which we get a cross-section of little puzzle hunts in San Francisco Sep 18-19, 2004
- Justice Unlimited in which Team Mystic Fish took part in a game run by Team Snout (a.k.a. "My first Game")
- BANG 7 Non-Trivial Pursuit The Bay Area Night Game in the Shoreline Area of Mountain View
- BANG V The Bay Area Night Game at Fisherman's Wharf (a.k.a. "How I got started")
Puzzle Hunt Links Elsewhere
Bay Area Night Game |
Blood and Bones |
The Burninators |
Coed Astronomy |
Dr Clue |
Drunken Spidermen |
Team lowkey |
Get on a Raft with Taft |
Orange Snood |
John Owens |
Purple Team |
Puzzle Hunt Calendar |
Red Byer |
Seattle GC |
Seth Golub's Photos |
Smoking GNU |
Static Zombie |
Team Hazard |
Team Longshots |
Team Sharkbait |
Team Snout |
Teresa Torres |
"The Game" Orkut Community |
Viva Los Jefes! |
Wesley Chan's Photos |