[Update: I meant seven-millionth. It's seven. I'm not re-celebrating six. Sorry, I posted this in a hurry, didn't proof-read, didn't fact check, sloppy work, sloppy.]
Good gracious, it is the site's six-millionth hit.
Let's look at the log record for that six-millionth hit:
184.108.40.206 - - [01/Dec/2006:10:49:32 -0400] "GET /departures/monterey/0/3292_from_water.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 31201 "http://www.lahosken.san-francisco.ca.us/departures/monterey/0/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; America Online Browser 1.1; rev1.2; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; FunWebProducts; ZangoToolbar 4.8.3)"
This appears to be an AOL user visiting my Monterey travelog. They're at the page, the graphics are loading, and this log shows them downloading a photo of Monterey taken from a boat tour.
Last time the site hit such a milestone, I pulled some site information from Google Webmaster Central. This time, in the interest of fairness or whatever, I'll give some information from Yahoo Site Explorer. (As ever, my opinions are mine, not my employer's.) Yahoo Site Explorer shows many uninteresting things and one interesting thing. The interesting thing is: You can ask for a list of pages that link to your site--any page in your site. What sites link to this site?
- Walter's Maze Mansion: links to maze information, including a description of a computer game level I once made.
- Piaw's Blog: bicycling notes and book reviews by a friend of mine.
- Cardhouse Candy Cigarette page: I sent in some candy cigarette packages to this excellent resource.
- Poetry Generator: generates semirandom text, links to the similar Daily Nonsense page.
- unsolicited input: Steven Huang's blog. I used to work down the hall from him. I left snide remarks on his blog. Until he disabled comments. But I'm on the blogroll, so I get plenty of links from this site.
- Bay Area Night Game wiki: I vandalized this wiki to add links to some of my B.A.N.G. writeups.
- Some French page about Geomancy: linked to a photo I took of some Geomantic geegaw.
- CKL's Hotsheet: in a Paparazzi Game write-up, Curtis linked to part of my write-up of a previous Game that hit a nearby location.
- Robert Abbott: this Maze guy linked to one of my B.A.N.G. write-ups, specifically the Burninators' implementation of his Bureaucratic maze idea.
- Blinkbits: economics: Some Digg wanna-be site? I don't know. They linked to one of my book reviews.
- Sue Trowbridge's blog: linked to the Lip & Rib interview.
- 43Places: I added some links from this user-editable travel site back to some of my travelogs. And I did similar things on some other Robot Co-op sites.
- SFStories: I posted a story about the Haight, signed with a link back to my site.
- Open Directory Project: Remember when there still seemed to be a hope of organizing the web into a hierarchy of topics?
- Some discussion forum: Someone linked to my photo of some cargo lifters in a discussion about relationship advice?
- DLoft's blog: I am on the blogroll. I am a VIP, yes I am.
- Spammy "Log Cabin 4U" site: This
- Bret Salmon, Blogger: linked to a snippet about women walking weird.
- HalfBakery: I used to visit the Halfbakery often. Nowadays, I can't keep up.
- Shotgun Review: linked to my notes on the SF MOMA video walk
- The Official Find Mike Touloumtzis Web Page: Quotes one of my travelogs that mentions Mike, links to the travelog as a citation.
- teahousehome.com: formerly known as the Teahouse for the Contemplation of Enchiladas. My friend Arlene runs this site, and has been known to link to my site when I do something particularly egregious.
- Berkeley Landmarks: Linked to my site to give credit for my photo of the back gate of Berkeley's "Temple of Wings" building. Note to budding photographers: take lots of photos of crap that no-one else would think to photograph. Eventually, someone will need a photo of one of those things.
- Mental Sewage: linked to the Dental Health Theatre travelog
- Bryan Clair: my tie to academia
- Thor's Thimble: I can't tell whether this site is spam or just strange. But it linked to an email of Rosemary Braun's that I posted.
- NPS Zorg en Hoop: This spammy page is just a bunch of links to pages that mention the word "Zorg". I wrote a few such pages. Uhm, I'm going to stop listing all of the Spammy sites that link to mine, or else I won't finish this list.
- Nullibicity: has links to computer-generated text, including this site's Daily Nonsense.
- OC Bookz, Specialists in Christian Titles from New Zealand, linked to one of my Paris photos.
- Keith Murphy: linked to a photo of a piece of candy
- Some Brit Blogger: linked to a photo
- RPGnet Forums: someone linked to the Daily Nonsense
- Legends of America: Their "Quirky Missouri" article links to the Dental Health Theatre travelog.
- Abel Tasman's Wilson's Experiences: They organized a hike/kayak in New Zealand. I went on the hike/kayak and then signed their guestbook.
- uurf: linked to the No-name sushi menu
- angieb: linked to my Crooked Tree Creperie NYC restaurant review
- someone in a Japanese Entertainment forum: linked to my Japanese Ska page
- A Homestar Runner Wiki editor: snarfed a dancing Homestar graphic that I snarfed from the Burninators
- Strange Horizons: they published my letter!
- UNC Charlotte J. Murrey Atkins Library: on their Resources for Writers page, a "fun" link to the Daily Nonsense
- John Owens: links to some Game write-ups
- Jowo: linked to a Ft Baker photo, but not the one with Santa Claus.
- The companion web site to a book about QuarkXPress: links to some documenation I wrote about Bezier curves.
- Someone's C++ File I/O programming notes: links an old documentation page with a list of ASCII character values.
- Free Republic: a right-wing fright-mongering site linked to my photo of a painting of a book-burning
- Zerotrust: links to the Bezier curve doc.
- Wikia's Cryptotourism site: links to some of my photos of code machines at the Smithsonian.
- photo.net: I added a link to my New Mexico travelog and to some other travelogs
- Bay of Islands travel guide article: linked to my New Zealand sailing travelog
- Heiko Hebig: linked to a photo of Redwood City
- Stithians Community Primary School linked to the Daily Nonsense page.
Oh, and there's more sites, apparently. How long have I been working on this list? For an hour, I think. I'm at work now. I'm supposed to be working. Uhm... I'm going to stop this list now.
Labels: million, site, trackback